A history and range of subjects
The history of the journal began in 1955 along with the preparation for the release of the first volume of the Museum of West Pomerania’s Yearbook titled 'Materiały Zachodnio-Pomorskie', which was published in 1957. The establishment of a regional scientific periodical, following the advice of Professor Józef Kostrzewski, was undertaken by Władysław Filipowiak - the director of the museum in Szczecin – who also became its editor. According to the declaration of the editorial team in the introduction to the volume, the journal of the Museum of West Pomerania was founded in order to present research work in the field of historical disciplines conducted throughout the Szczecin scientific centre. The assistant editor was Alicja Hamling who dealt with essential editorial and publishing work in twenty-two volumes of the journal.
The Editorial Board consisted of scholars whose scientific achievements created an important part of the research on history and art as well as of museum science and cultural heritage protection in Pomerania in the second half of the 20th century: Zofia Krzymuska-Fafius, Jadwiga Oczkowska-Najdowa, Przemysław Smolarek, Henryk Lesiński and Henryk Dziurla. Over time, the staff of the editorial board underwent gradual changes, but the initial principles have been consistently developed and implemented, which was largely due to Professor Władysław Filipowiak, who for 45 years worked as the journal's editor. Already in the second volume of the journal, apart from study articles and papers presenting the results of current research in various fields of history, appeared permanent sections, where archaeological discoveries, reports on activities of West Pomeranian museums and materials for the archaeological bibliography of West Pomerania were published. In subsequent volumes the journal's content has been enriched by reviews and discussions, subjects related to monuments' conservation, development of library resources and occasional columns. Along with development of research institutions in West Pomerania and the growing interest in the history of Pomerania amongst scholars from neighbouring regions as well as making contacts with scientists from different areas of the Baltic Sea, the range of subjects published in the journal became wider. These included new fields of research on the culture of the region and new territories, such as research on African cultures conducted by Szczecin museologists. In 1965, from volume X (1964), the title of the journal was modified. From that time until 2000, it was released as 'Materiały Zachodniopomorskie'. Along with an increase in the status of Szczecin museum, from volume XVI the journal was the National Museum in Szczecin’s Yearbook. In 2000, the last volume XLVII of the periodical in its old form and layout adopted in the mid-1950s was published.
Along with taking over the position of Director of the National Museum in Szczecin Lech Karwowski, who also became the editor of museum publications, decided to change the layout and character of 'Materiały Zachodniopomorskie'. The New Series was established, in which thematic journals were separated: 1 – Archaeology and 2 – History of Art and the volumes' numbering started from the beginning. After a period of reorganization, in 2004, the first new journals were published and subsequent volumes have been released.
The archaeological Journal of 'Materiały Zachodniopomorskie' new series, after editorial modifications, from 2010 has been published on a regular basis. Editions for 2007–2009 were supplemented, and from 2011, the current volumes have been issued. Also introduced were permanent sections, which correspond to the system adopted in volumes released in the years 1955–2000. Materials for the archaeological bibliography of West Pomerania were also reinstated. The archaeological journal aspires to present the results of archaeological study and excavations as well as related fields in Western Pomerania, and the publication of scientific papers concerning the wider Baltic Sea zone. With reference to the tradition, it also presents current scientific and museum events, which are intended to be the basis for future research on history of West Pomeranian archaeology.